Step Out of the Boat By Faith
Now in the
fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. And Peter
answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the
water. So He said, “Come,” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to
go to Jesus. -Matthew 14: 25, 28-29
In this passage,
the disciples were out on the Sea of Galilee, fighting to keep afloat in a
storm. Suddenly, Jesus came walking across the sea toward their boat! Jesus had
been spending time with His Father, and He’d gotten so caught up in the glory
that He didn’t even need a boat!
Peter saw Jesus
and called out, “Lord, if that’s You, I want to come out there!” Jesus called
back, “Come on out!”
I like Peter;
he was a pioneer. He didn’t want to walk the same road everyone else traveled.
He wanted to plow a new one!
Peter stepped
out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. Now, it wasn’t the
water that held Peter up. Just go try it sometime, and see if water will hold you
up! No, it wasn’t the water—it was Jesus’ word that kept Peter on top of
the water.
Jesus had said
to him, “Come.” And every time Peter put his foot down to take another step on
the water, he landed on that word. So Peter first heard and believed what Jesus
said. Then Peter acted on what He’d said, keeping his eyes on Jesus all the
while.
Also, did you notice
that no one followed Peter out of the boat? No, the other disciples were
probably all standing back, thinking, If it works for Peter, maybe I’ll try
it. That’s the attitude that causes people to run into problems. They say, “Well,
so-and-so got healed. I believe I’ll try that.” Then they wonder why it doesn’t
work for them.
We aren’t
healed because someone else was healed. We can’t live continually off someone
else’s faith. We’re healed because the Bible says, “By Jesus’ stripes, you were
healed.” (Isaiah 53:5, 1 Peter 2:24.) Just like Peter, we have to take a step
of faith out on the Word and believe God for the miracle we need!
CONFESSION:
When the One
who made the water tells me I can walk on it, I can. The One who made my body
tells me it’s healed, so it’s healed. The Word of God is the unsinkable
foundation I walk on!
From: A
Devotional for Divine Health Prescription for a Miracle, Mark Brazee, 1999
No comments:
Post a Comment