Faith Comes Before the Physical Evidence
The nobleman
said to Him, “Sir, come down before my child dies!” Jesus said to him, “Go your way, your son
lives.” So the man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him, and he went his
way. -John 4:49-50
The nobleman
said, “Jesus, if You come, my son will live; if You don’t, he’ll die. Work a
special miracle. Move in a sovereign way.”
Jesus replied, “Go
your way, and believe what I say: Your son lives.”
That put the
nobleman in a difficult spot. He had traveled more than twenty miles to see
Jesus. That was a long trip, even if he had the fastest chariot around! He didn’t
see or feel anything—no burning bush, no goose bumps, no gifts of the Spirit in
manifestation. All he had to hold on to were the bare words of Jesus the
master.
So the nobleman
had to make the choice: Should I stand here and argue with Jesus, or should
I take Him at His Word?
The man decided
to turn around and head home. He simply stepped out, believing the word that
was spoken. As he traveled back to his home, the devil probably tried to talk
to his mind, saying, How can you just accept Jesus’ words? Your son is in
bad shape! Don’t you have any feelings? Jesus isn’t coming back with you!
The nobleman
demonstrated true faith. He traveled home, believing his son was well, with
nothing but the Word of God to stand on. He probably traveled at least ten
miles before he met his servants, who gave him the good news about his son: “Your
son lives” (v. 51).
The nobleman
had already believed for an entire day with no physical evidence that his son
was getting better. Then he heard the good news about his son’s healing and
realized it had occurred at the same time that Jesus had said, “Go your way,
your son lives” (v. 50)!
This is a
picture of faith toward God. The minute the nobleman believed the spoken Word
and headed for home, acting as though it were true, his son began to amend.
CONFESSION:
The Word
says by Jesus’ stripes I am healed. I believe that Word, not according to how I
feel, but according to what God has said. I count the work done! My body will
begin to amend from this very hour!
From: A
Devotional for Divine Health Prescription for a Miracle, Mark Brazee, 1999
No comments:
Post a Comment