Healing – Proof of Jesus’ Power to Forgive
“Which is
easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven you’ or to say, ‘Arise,
take up your bed and walk”? “But that you may know that the Son of Man has power
on earth to forgive sins –He said to the paralytic, “I say to you, arise, take
up your bed, and go to your house.” -Mark 2:9-11
What proof could Jesus give
the religious leaders that the paralyzed man’s sins were forgiven? Jesus knew
exactly what proof to give them. He said, When I finish here, you’ll know the
Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins.
Jesus wasn’t just speaking
to the man on the stretcher; He was talking to the whole group. Then He told the paralyzed man, “Arise, and take up your bed,
and go to your house.” Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out
in the presence of them all; so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying,
“We never saw anything like this!” -Mark 2:12 (NKJV)
Jesus said, “I’ll prove to
you that I have the power to forgive sins. I’ll tell this man to get up and
walk, and he will do it!” He did, and they were all shocked!
If the religious leaders
had been as knowledgeable about the Scriptures as they were about their
traditions, they would have jumped up and exclaimed, “Jesus is the Messiah! He
is the One we are looking for! Remember, these were the Old Testament scholars—Pharisees
and doctors of the law. They should have known that every time God gave them a
picture of the Messiah’s crucifixion in the Old Testament, two things happened.
People were forgiven of their sins and healed of their diseases.
How does that help us?
Well, we know forgiveness and healing were always given together under the old
covenant. That assures us that as children of God under the new covenant,
physical healing automatically belongs to us!
CONFESSION:
Under the old covenant,
healing and forgiveness were connected. I live under a better covenant based on
better promises, so forgiveness and healing are still available to me. I am
both healed and forgiven!
No comments:
Post a Comment